Promising Jobs in Shipping and Marine at Gweka Consulting Services
Shipping is the process of transporting commodities and merchandise goods and cargo. Waterway is the oldestroute and transport system that also helped in the development of the world through trade. Today, the shippingindustry has so many functional areas which opens up the gate for some promising career opportunities.
Water Cargo Job Roles
- ISM/ISO implementation, audits of day to day follow, Training CSO Guidance to Masters.
- Responsible for management of navigation using satellite and radar systems, managing and using communication systems, and supervising the safe loading, storage and unloading of cargo.
- Fills oil cups on machinery with grease and lubricating oil, according to machinery lubrication instructions.
- Reads vessel documents to ascertain cargo capabilities according to design and cargo regulations.
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the ship—including its seaworthiness, safety and security, cargo operations, navigation, crew management, and legal compliance—and for the persons and cargo on board.
Shipyard Maintenance Job Roles
- Responsible for to bend, align, cut, weld and assemble metals using various tools.
- Responsible for supervising mechanical workers and making sure work is completed in a safe and efficient manner.
- A complete analysis of the entire vessel must be carried out, as this determines the initial seaworthiness of the vessel.
- To inspect using visual observation and mechanical testing equipment to ensure that new mechanical installations and alterations of mechanical systems in public and private buildings.
- Responsible for maintenance carried out by personnel under direct control and ensures that all equipment, tools, plants and transport means are well maintained.
Ship Maintenance Job Roles
- Responsible for the operation, maintenance and repair of all major mechanical and engineered equipment on board a ship.
- Install engine controls, propeller shafts, and propellers. Maintain and repair engines, electric motors, pumps, winches and other mechanical and electrical equipment, or assist other crew members with maintenance and repair duties.
- Responsible for the organization and allocation of tasks to the Engine Ratings according to the maintenance instructions received from the 2nd Engineer.
- Implementation of special maintenance and control of technical results.
- Must be fully familiar with the ship’s Safety Management System. Also ensures that any Electro Cadets assigned to the vessel are given proper training and that their training records are maintained up to date.
Ship Staff Job Roles
- Managing and training the deck crew, inspecting and maintaining inventory of equipment, and order needed repairs.
- Caring for the health and welfare of all crew and trainees.
- Supervising the deck crew of the vessel, planning, scheduling and assigning of work to the deck crew on ship.
- Overseeing the entire Marine engineering department on the vessel
- Captain is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the ship.